[Progressive manga] Scherzo of Deep Night - Chapter 015

Heya, everyone. It's been a pretty long while since I last posted. My work had been keeping me busy for a long time... and now that I've finally had a calmer month, I've found myself needing time to unwind before I burnt out. Doesn't help that when I actually have a free weekend for once, I end up being dragged into family-related stuff (such as installing solar power modules on my grandmother's house...). Other members of our team had also been busy with moving house and stuff, so we kinda went on total hiatus for a month or so. I do hope that we'll be able to return to a more regular schedule, but I can't promise anything right now.

Anyway, as you may have heard, the Scherzo manga has been licensed by Yen Press. Since we're so close to the end, we decided not to drop the project so close to the finish line. Heck, the license news seems to have turbo-charged Nguyen, so for all I know, we may end up marathoning the rest of the Scherzo chapters... possibly...maybe... dunno. We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out.

Chapter 15 continues covering the boss fight from the moment Shivata ends up in the boss's mouth to the moment the boss comes down to its final form. There's four more chapters to go and the next one is going to finish covering the boss fight itself.

I hope you enjoy the release. If you have any suggestions/requests for what to work on, feel free to leave a comment or contact us through Twitter/Discord/Email.

Finally, a standard thank you to all of those who contributed to the SAO Scans project for helping us get the raws.

-Gsimenas

Credits

Raws: SAO Scans
Translation: Gsimenas
Editing: Gsimenas
Redrawing: Nguyen Milk
Typesetting: Nguyen Milk
Quality Assurance: Mttblue2


Scherzo of Deep Night - Chapter 15

Links for the translation files:



Translation (choice/nuance) comments:
  • Page 02: "FFS, why is it always me!!" (ちっきしょ また オレかよ!!) - the original used a slangy version of a more emphatic swear word (畜生, which is supposed to be spelled chikushou, not chikkisho), so I used "FFS" (for fuck's sake) to capture this nuance. Also, the manga added "me" (オレ) to this dialogue line. The novel version was just "not again......!" (またかよ……!).
  • Page 05: In the bottom right panel, the words "vacant" and "collossus" in Asuna's bubble are written in actual English in the original text.
  • Page 06: Asuna is translating the English words contained in the boss's name to Japanese to explain what they mean.
  • Page 07-08: Agil's speech is coarsely masculine, so I made his speech sound rougher in the translation.
  • Page 12+: Argo has a speech quirk wherein she changes the last kana (usually a sentence ending particle) in her sentence to katakana, when it would normally be written in hiragana. This is accounted for by emphasising the final letter in her sentence in the translation (making it capitalised or look bigger). Argo also speaks in boyish tone, so I made her language more casual.
  • Page 18: "I ain't going down the stairs [...]" - Shivata usually speaks in regular casual Japanese, but in this case, he used an -n suffix for a negative verb, rather than the usual -nai suffix.
  • Page 19: "That's what spares are for, duh!!" - The original was 予備くらい用意してる!! (Yobi kurai youi shiteru!!), which would literally translate to something like "I have prepared something as simple as spares!!". Since this sentence was kinda unwieldy, I went a bit loose with the translation to capture the intended meaning and nuance without sounding awkward.
  • Page 21: "POT" was written in capital Western alphabet letters in the original text. It's short for the word "potion".
  • Page 23: I used "all hands" for the word 全員 (all members) for variety in lexicon while keeping it short, since long words cost time to say.
Adaptation notes:
  • In the novel, Kirito only monologues about stepping on the lines to draw the boss's attacks away from Shivata and co if it comes down to it. In the manga, he actually does carry this out.
  • The manga skips Kirito's despair monologue just before Liten jumps in to save the day.
  • The manga simplified the battle after Shivata and Liten were freed. In the novel, Kirito narrated that they had some minor setbacks due to occasionally failing to strike the sigil before the boss's roar attack occasionally.
  • Various dialogue trimming.

1 comment: