[Dengeki Girls Swim Wear Festival AGGO short story] Sugoimizugi Jam

Since I didn't have time to translate anything else this week due to reading V25, I translated a rather short AGGO story I had lying around in my drawers. Enjoy.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the release. If you have any suggestions/requests for what to work on, feel free to leave a comment or contact us through Twitter/Discord/Email.

Any feedback is appreciated.

-Gsimenas

Credits

Raws: Yuuki~
Translation: Gsimenas
Translation (choice/nuance) comments:
  • Fukaziroh speaks in a masculine tone, so I made her speech more casual by cutting off final letters, using non-standard spellings, and more informal phrasings for her.
  • In a few instances, Fukaziroh starts speaking in an archaic tone (like a wise old man or a samurai or something). I accounted for this by replacing her 'you's with the archaic 'thou's, as well as using archaic verb conjugation, where third person verbs had an -eth suffix.

Markup explanation:
  • Itallics mark text that was written in katakana English (I only highlighted the cases where the author uses both English and actual Japanese equivalents for the same thing, or when I needed to emphasise that an English word is used there).
  • Courier font indicates that the original word was written in kana for emphasis (when such a word usually isn't written in kana)
  • Comic sans indicates emphasis added by myself when I needed to stress something to get the meaning across properly.
  • Single quotation marks (') are quotes that weren't in the original text but were added for the convenience of English speakers to mark implied quotations. I used it mostly to separate Kirito's internal monologue from his narration, as well as mark sound effects and so on. Actual dialogue lines or quotations (with 「」 punctuation marks) within a narration line are indicated with the usual double (") quotation marks.


N/A
N/A




Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online Sugoimizugi Jam

Summary of events till now.

The year 2026——due to the pronounced popularity of FullDive-type Virtual Reality Games which players can enjoy with all five of their bodily senses, the lead character and beanpole uni student 〝Kohiruimaki Karen〟, along with her best bud 〝Shinohara Miyu〟, a girl at the peak of enjoying the joys of youth, both obtained itsy-bitsy girl avatars and went out to enjoy the world of guns that is "Gun Gale Online", commonly known as just 〝GGO〟, under the names 〝LLENN〟 and 〝Fukaziroh〟.

End of summary.





In the Gun Gale Online capital city of Glocken, there was a small armour shop.

"Yes indeed, I am a player employee of this shop; I have some very nice armour for such teensy-weensy and cute lolies that would probably get me arrested by the police if I were to lay a hand on you, such as yourselves, how's about it? I'll make a discount just for you, ya hear?"

"Hoh, I'm Fukaziroh; what armour are we talkin' 'bout 'ere? I'll deign to look at your wares, so get a move on an' brin' 'em up right 'ere!"

"Fuka…… You might want to watch that tone of yours……"

"Oh LLENN, ain't it about time to throw away your usual self in the virtual world?"

"Fuka……, aren't you always like this though."

"Guess you could say that."

"Excuse me…… store employee here, may I continue with what I was saying earlier?"

"Aye." "Sure, sure."

"Well then——Excuse my abruptness, but I have a question for you. What do you believe would qualify as the strongest armour in GGO? In the sense of armour that you wear on yourself, rather than anything handheld."

"Beats me……what could that be? Fuka, do you know?"

"Is that somethin' ya should be askin' of me, a gal who hasn't spent all that much time in GGO after covertin' ta it? LLENN, doncha think ya should put more effort inta thinkin' for yourself ta come up with an answer that may be off-track?"

"Uugh…… Then, ehm……, how about 〝a Sci-Fi movie-esque full-body protector〟?" "Then I'll go with that too."

"Fuka! You put no thought into it!"

"My actions are based on the labour of my contemplation, ya know? Like the rat that rode on the ox that started on its journey a day early, before jumping off the ox just ahead of the finish line to claim first place!"(1)

"#Geez#(Mooh)!"

"LLENN, your sense of humour sure is shining today, fer once."

"No it isn't! I wasn't imitating an ox!"

"Ummm…… store employee here, may I continue with what I was saying earlier? So, allow me to continue. A Sci-Fi soldier full-body protector does indeed have high defence. Due to the game being based on a futuristic setting, there are examples of armoured attire that are so toughy-tough that they can deflect bullets, and it is even possible to craft armour like that."

"Yahoo! Ain't it just perfect then."

"Though, it is full of demerits in turn. For starters, obviously enough, the armour is heavy. As such, it in turn requires higher Strength to wield, and it makes your movements more sluggish. As a result, you become an easier target for enemies to shoot, which in turn results in lowering your overall Defence in the long run."

"I see. Being so fleet-footed that no one can actually hit you is a form of defence in its own right, after all."

"If I had to pick, I'd say LLENN is the rat."

"If I may add, despite being called bulletproof, the armour still allows some damage to go through. While the same can be said about bulletproof vests in the real world, 〝bullets can't pierce you even if you're hit〟 effectively means 〝you have to bear the kinetic energy with your own body〟. It feels like taking a real good punch. If you were shot all over your body with this much power, you will feel thrashed all over as well."

"I see." "Hmmhmm."

"And so, I would like to take this moment to renounce the whole theory that armoured attire is the strongest out there."

"In that case, what are you implying does actually qualify as such? O store employee, thou may share thy own views."

"Just the question I have been waiting for! I have prepared the answer right here."

"Oh, an item box."

"Once you click on this, you will equip the gear in a flash, thus please feel free to try them on. There's enough for both of you. I shall be turning around for a moment, so don't mind me. Alright, if you wouldn't mind."

"That's what the guy says. Aighty, LLENN, let's get a move on."

"Ah! Hold on a——"

"Transformation scene, done."

"Oooh! Both of you look mighty fine in them! The mirror is on your right."

"Let's take a look see——ooh!"

"Kyah! What the heck what the heck what the heck is this!"

"O LLENN, this beeth what is known as a bikini. The name cometh from the atomic bomb experiments at the Bikini Atoll. The leading explanation beeth that the design for the outfit was just that shocking."

"Kyah!"

"As I had hoped, they look so good on you!"

"Anything looks good on me though, ya know?"

"Kyah!"

"Oh shut it, LLENN. Why are you bein' so noisy over a simple swimsuit. In the first place, your body itself is just a construct made up of data, anyway."

"B-but…… store employee! This is sexual harassment! Out-of-line!"

"Oh, no worries. I did research upon research on what is considered sexual harassment by the system and designed these to still be just-barely OK on the scale of millimetres in that respect!"

"You're the one out-of-line!"

"Come on you two, hold on a second there. I have to say, I never expected that I would be able to personally experience the "Kyah, what the heck is this!" phenomenon that comes up in lewd manga so often……You know, this is something I've been thinking for a while now. 〝You'd definitely be able to tell what the outfit is like before you even put it on!〟. But turns out, all it takes is a virtual world where you can get changed into the outfit at a single press of a button. That's one mystery solved……"

"Fuka! Who cares about that!"

"Well, you do have a point that nobody cares about it. Instead, what we must debate in earnest right now is where we could take these swimsuits for a swim. In the world of GGO, there is no such thing as a blue sky, or a blue sea. The people that once lived here destroyed the place in a war, after all. A quarrel bringeth naught creation."

"You've got it wrong! What we should be debating first and foremost is how exactly is this sexually harassing swimsuit supposed to be 〝the strongest armour〟.

"Oh right, we were talking about that. ——So, o store employee, explain thyself."

"Yes, ma'am! For starters, swimsuits are sexy."

"Hmmh. What of it?"

"And almost all GGO players are male."

"That appeareth to be the case."

"So, if guys like that were to gaze upon you as you are now, would they truly be able to stay emotionally calm? Would they not think for a moment that they gazed upon something that one must not gaze at and thus avert their eyes?"

"Naturally! A man who would not leave himself unguarded for an attack upon gazing women as sexy as us should just turn in their license to be a man!"

"Now that very momentary opening is what makes it the strongest shield to protect yourself! Oh, the subversion of one's way of thinking! The sight of swimsuits bursting into the eyes of a bunch of men is so dazzling that it prevents them from aiming straight at their wearers! I call this the 〝swimsuits-are-so-dazzling-that-you-can't-aim-straight armour〟."

"True that! However, I do understand what thou wished to say quite well! Thou bear a spirit for selling the strongest armour that thou may be proud of, store employee!"

"Ooh! So you comprehend my way of thinking!"

"I truly understand thee well! Now there beeth something I would like to ask thee on that note!"

"What would that be, what would that be!"

"So what's the real deal 'ere?"

"Very well! I so wanted to see you two in swimsuits! Handling this store has been a truly good choice of mine!"

"Hey, lemme borrow that head of yours. LLENN, go and change the doorplate outside the store to 〝Closed〟."

"Roger that!"

"Ah……"



In the Gun Gale Online capital city of Glocken, there once was a small armour shop.

Not continued


N/A
N/A


Notes

1. ^ Refers to a Zodiac sign race story, where the rat hitched a ride on the ox to be first at the finish line.

7 comments:

  1. sorry but can i ask where i can read vol 22 23 24 summary or mtl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V22 is just a side story volume, consisting of already translated BD bonus stories.

      V23 summary can be found at https://dreadfuldecoding.blogspot.com/2020/04/sao-v23-summary.html , but I haven't had the time to finish it yet.

      Delete
  2. How many more of these short AGGO stories are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly lost count. There's still a BD side story and some bonus stories that came with a P90 and Vorpal Bunny replicas, but I don't have raws for any of those stories.

      Delete
  3. Do you have contact with the person who release Project Alicization fan translation? If so, is he still continue? Or is the translation cancelled due to upcoming official English release?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defan dropped the project since Project Alicization has been licensed by Yen Press.

      Delete
  4. Will you be translating the new 32/33 side story "If We Could Walk Together"?

    ReplyDelete